Please read our COVID-19 secure guidelines for the Wild Wye Swim this year – http://wildwyeswim.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/WWS21-Covid-19-Secure-Guidelines.pdf
The Sunday info pack is available: http://wildwyeswim.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/WWS21-Sunday-Event-Information-1.pdf
…and the start lists:
The Saturday info pack is available: http://wildwyeswim.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/WWS21-Saturday-Event-Information-1.pdf
…and the start list: http://wildwyeswim.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/WWS21-Sat-Start-List.pdf
Entries for this year’s Wild Wye Swim (Sun 19 Sept) will open on 1 Feb as usual. There are places available in all distances, but not many as we had to cancel the 2020 event and most people deferred into 2021.
So, we have spoken nicely to the various landowners, and the SARA volunteers who do the safety cover, and we are delighted to announce that there will be a 7km swim on the Saturday (18 Sept) as well this year! All entries will be on Fabian4.co.uk as usual; just scroll down to mid-September.
Covid-permitting, of course, but fingers-crossed…
The 2021 event will be held on the 19th September 2021. We look forward to seeing you all there!
We are sad to announce that we have decided that it would not be appropriate to hold the Wild Wye Swim this year. We know this decision will be disappointing for the many swimmers that have entered and we very much appreciate the support they have shown.
We have held off making a final decision until this point as we examined the various components of the event, and monitored the national situation and the guidance from the government and sports governing bodies. In the end we concluded that it would not be possible to stage this event with the confidence that it could operate in a robust and Covid-safe way, whilst still providing the high standard of water safety cover which this event requires.
We are therefore postponing the event to 2021, with a provisional date of 19 Sept 2021. Everyone who has already entered is automatically deferred to the 2021 event. Swimmers who would prefer not to defer to next year may have their entry refunded. If that is the case and you would like a refund, please email us* by 31 August 2020.
We intend to build on the planning we have done for this year, so that the Wild Wye Swim 2021 is our best event yet, with robust safety procedures within an enjoyable event. To all the swimmers, our volunteers from within SARA and the wider community and the local businesses and groups that help to make this event, we thank you for your support and look forward to seeing you next year.
With only 2 weeks to go, we look forward to welcoming you to Symonds Yat for the 2019 Wild Wye Swim!
Please find Information for the event here:
The start list for the event will include all those swimmers who opted to defer their entry in 2018, when the swim was cancelled due to extreme river conditions. The organisers would like to thank these swimmers for their support.
Regrettably we have taken the decision to cancel this year’s Wild Wye Swim.
This was a difficult decision but as many will be aware there are multiple factors coming together on Sunday morning, including:
- A rise in the river level, and consequently its speed, to the point where swimmers may have difficulties including avoiding obstacles and reaching an exit point. Yesterday’s heavy rain has caused a large rise further north which is heading downstream, and more rain is forecast continuously for the 24 hours before the event.
- The high water level, for the first time after a long dry summer – on top of the heavy storm yesterday – will lead to debris in the water, which may impact the ability of the safety team as well as causing a hazard for the swimmers, and may also impact on water quality.
- The amber weather warning during the event may also have an impact on people travelling to and from the event, and the emergency services’ ability to respond to us.
We are aware that many swimmers were looking forward to this event but as organisers we felt that the weather left us with no choice.
Those that have pre-entered have the option to defer their entry to next year (likely to be Sun 22 Sep 2019), or have a refund – or of course donate their entry to the Severn Area Rescue Association (the ‘do-nothing’ option). If you would like to defer or have a refund, please contact us by the end of September.
We hope to see you next year.
2½ weeks to go!
Please find Information for the event here: